sally header2

Friday, July 11, 2008

Summer of Submission

This summer is all about publications. I have a backlog of data that is collected but not published. My advisor has lectured me about it so now is the time to get rid of it. Need to clear the desk and my mind before I power away on dissertation data and papers that are actually about what I really, really do.
Sneks and I collaborate on many of these smaller projects and she also has a bunch of preliminary data and other projects to get out as well, thus we have dubbed this the Summer of Submission. Things got rolling for me at the end of April with the first paper. It was rejected but will be resubmitted elsewhere by Tuesday (just got the last authors comments on the revision today).
Paper #2 is a long overdue thing from my time at my MS institution. It had also been rejected over a year ago but was resubmitted in June. My coauthor has been a source of frustration with this paper. They are doing fieldwork so drop out of touch for a month at a time with no notice. This data is 5 years old and really, it is just time to be able to move on with our lives.
Paper #3 is the one we sent to Schmiance and now sent to somewhere more appropriate*. We should hear very soon. According to the official website we are "Awaiting final decision." This paper is really neat. It is simple but novel. The most exciting thing about it is that we have figures that we submitted for the cover of the journal. If we got the cover, I might faint. That would be the coolest.....
With these 3 out in submission-land, I am starting work on the second round.
Paper #4 is very, very, very small due to horrible field conditions that season that resulted in a super small sample size. It has been a struggle for me to write so my advisor agreed to take it over. For some reason, every time I go to send it on though, I just write more of it. I swear I am sending it today....after I finish the results and make all the graphs.
Paper #5 is a many author, multi-year study. We interpreted the data this week and agreed upon a small journal. It should be fun to write as it relates to my dissertation research.
Paper #6 is a big chapter of dissertation fieldwork and will be what I present at the Big International Conference in August. It will be submitted soon after that talk to include any good feedback I get from it. Once it is out, there is the bonus that a chapter of the diss is also done!

For now, we are waiting and are really hoping to be enjoying an Autumn of Acceptance**.







*If you are noticing a trend that everything I submit is rejected, you are right. All but 1 paper I've ever worked on has been rejected first before being accepted. It has happened enough that I am actually ok with this (not that I have a choice)...
**Thankfully there are two words for this season because the Fall of Failure doesn't sound so good.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Laurie K said...

I feel like most papers I have heard of are rejected (at least somewhat) first. Do your journals have all those dates for each paper? Like under the abstract it will say "submitted June 2004, accepted with revisions October 2005" or something. I like seeing that because it makes me remember it can be a long process.

Anyway, good luck on the submissions! That is great! I still have to publish my master's research, but I am holding off on all of that until I get the dissertation finished. After that, I should have a flurry of publications. I work with some perfectionists who don't realize that sometimes you just need to get it good enough, and that if we really wanted we could keep working on some of these papers forever, but we just need to get them out!

12:23 PM  
Blogger DancingFish said...

I love looking at those dates and have actually chosen journals based on how long it takes!

I have had some of those perfectionist tendancies as well- which is what led to my holding onto data for so long. Luckily both my advisor and labmate/coauthor share your view and are slowly converting me.

1:10 PM  
Blogger ScienceGirl said...

How do you deal with rejections? I personally find them quite painful...

Sounds like you've got lots in the pipeline, so good luck with your submissions!

5:14 PM  
Blogger DancingFish said...

Thanks sciencegirl! While I hope I don't have any anytime soon- I will post about rejections soon =)

5:42 PM  
Blogger Mad Hatter said...

Good god! 6 papers at one time? I'd be stark, raving mad by now. Good luck!

ScienceGirl--I find rejections painful too, but once you've gotten enough of them, your skin thickens a bit. And actually, I think experiencing grant rejections makes it strangely easier to deal with paper rejections....

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home